News coming from Jeddah, the venue of resumed talks for a peace deal says, a temporary ceasefire has been reached over Sudan as combat between two opposing factions enters its sixth week.
The ceasefire as agreed will take effect from the night of Monday, 22 May.
In triumph over the ceasefire agreement, a statement by US Secretary of State Antony Blinken says, “It’s past time to put the guns away and enable unrestricted humanitarian access.
Prior attempts at a truce between the regular army of Sudan and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces had failed, leaving the country on the precipice of a major humanitarian disaster.
“Unlike previous ceasefires, the agreement reached in Jeddah was signed by the parties and will be supported by the US and Saudi Arabia, as well as an internationally supported ceasefire,” officials at the talks say.
While speaking on the ceasefire agreement enforcement, a joint statement by the US-Saudi Arabia led officials said that a “ceasefire monitoring mechanism,” will be put in place.
The two opposing forces have also agreed to help in the restoration of basic services across Khartoum and other affected cities. This is meant to be part of the seven-day humanitarian ceasefire.
In Khartoum, the capital of Sudan and the scene of much of the violence, supplies of food, cash, and other necessities have rapidly diminished, and relief organisations have repeatedly lamented their inability to offer enough support.
Multiple reports say a million people are believed to have been displaced as a result of fighting between the two factions, which started last month.
As part of the agreement, the RSF and the regular army were meant to permit the distribution of humanitarian aid, restoration of basic services, and withdrawal of troops from places such as hospitals and other public spaces.
Fighting in Sudan has continued for nearly two months since the first shot was fired on April 15, when armed violence broke out between the Sudanese regular army and a paramilitary group called the Rapid Support Forces.